Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Origin Trip

I'm packing my bags this evening still buzzing over the very kind words about our coffee that Stephen Morrisey wrote on his blog today. Tomorrow I am leaving for a two week trip to Guatemala and Panama.

I will be making our first visit to Finca Vista Hermosa. FVH was our first Direct Trade coffee and still continues to amaze me. This morning I had a french press of last Thursday's roast and it was one of the sweetest cups of coffee I think I ever had. Naturally it got me really excited about this trip and being able to see what it is FVH does to produce this quality. Edwin Martinez has planned a great programme for the visit including a visit to Anacafé - the Guatemalan Specialty Coffee Association.

In Panama I'll be looking at some exciting new coffees. There has been a lot of talk about the Panamanian Geishas in the last couple of years and there's also some cool experiments with microlots going on. Hopefully we'll find something spectacular down there that we can bring home to Denmark.

I doubt there's going to be much access to internet on the trip - let alone time to write blog post. However I will surely be taking a lot of photos and notes, so it should be possible for me to remember what have happened when I return.

6 comments:

MoBak said...

Have a nice trip, Klaus. We'll miss you on EspressoBar while you're gone. But if you find a few extraordinary coffee to bring hope, we'll forgive you ;)

Take care...

Anonymous said...

Sounds good MoBak ;-) I'll try to do my best to find something really outstanding.

Anonymous said...

So Jealous - wish I was there too!
Please give my best to Edwin and all at FVH.

Emily

Ben Kaminsky said...

Its been great down here...Pretty excited to hang out with you guys. See you in a couple days.

ONE POT said...

love to hear about your trip - i was in guatemala last summer visiting farms and it was pretty intense - beautiful - but everything felt a little on edge - awful to hear about the FVH tragedy - my heart goes out to those folks - let's hope things calm down in that lovely little country.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Panama right now, and can't post from here. But Guatemala was AWESOME! Thanks to all who made it such a great experience. I look forward to posting about it and showing you all my pictures (+600 and still shooting).

 
'